Friday, April 3, 2009

Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Beach House

rachel-ashwell-sofa-oprah

Shabby Chic creator Rachel Ashwell recently moved from a house with over 4,000 square feet into a beach house less than half the size. She told Oprah that it made her realize she isn't "a big house person."

rachel-ashwell-kitchen-oprah

"Less is so much more. In the case of this room, the sofa, a couple of chairs...no clutter," says Rachel. "I really find it easy to decorate with pastels starting with a platform of white on the walls, the sofa, whatever, and then layering in your color."

rachel-ashwell-famrm-oprah

Rachel says there are few things no home should be without: "Candles not too far burnt down, yummy flower arrangements, a chandelier, and lovely china."

{Photo source: Oprah.com}

7 comments:

  1. I'm trying to do a beach style in my suburban condo! We'll see how it works out.

    I am trying to get around to all of my Followers this week. Some folks are getting a "Stack Overflow" message when they visit my blog. This is a random interaction problem between blogger and Internet Explorer. To fix this, just empty your Temp or Temp Internet folder. You could also consider switching to Firefox as your browser. I hope you'll still continue to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is definitely something to be said for smaller houses and 'less is more'.....e.g less is really more in so many ways. I didn't know you had another blog. I love it!
    Kindest Regards
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Rachel, and love the feel of a smaller, cottage-style home.

    –Lana

    ReplyDelete
  4. This May we are having a HUGE years sale & I am hoping to clear out a lot of what I think is clutter...I agree with Rachel's design philosophy. I'm not so Shabby Chic, but am becoming less formal by the minute. By summer I'm sure I'll be shopping in her Chicago store!
    I LOVE your new blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVEEEEEE Rachel~! Wish I could sneak in and snatch that cloche.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that she admits that she is just not a "big house" person....how refreshing. No point rolling across a huge mansion if it's just not home! I love Shabby Chic!
    Simone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love you BLOG...
    ...send you greatings from switzerland...

    Jacqueline ♡

    http://jacquelineswhitehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by. Kick off your flip-flops and stay awhile! ~Julia :-)