Monday, October 19, 2009

"What Lies Beneath:" A House on the Water in Vermont

I love the house in the suspense-thriller What Lies Beneath. I even wrote an extensive post about it over at Hooked on Houses for my weekly Movie Monday feature. It's a beautiful home that was built specifically for the film on a lake in Vermont.

I love their living room with the built-in bookshelves and the windows overlooking the lake. Having Harrison Ford hanging around in the room doesn't hurt, either.

Who could forget the bathroom that the ghost liked to make special appearances in? Here Claire (Michelle Pfeiffer) and her friend try to get some answers from the "other side" with a Ouija Board:

The garden on the side of the house is lovely, but there are some troubled neighbors living on the other side of that fence. . .

A view of the house from the dock:

You can go here for more photos and all the details about it. Or visit my TV/Movie Houses page for links to all of the other posts I've done about famous houses.

P.S. Thanks for all of your well wishes for my grandmother. They mean a lot to me! She was finally released from the hospital over the weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Lovely house! Thanks for the reminder - it was a good house! So glad your grandmother is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your grandmother is on the mend!
    Love this house-- I thought it was real. I love VT. A house on a lake would be wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could certainly learn to love that house!! We hope to retire to Vermont someday. : )

    ~ Wendy
    http://Crickleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the images. House is lovely and the windows in livingroom is gorgeous!

    So glad your grandmother is doing better!

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I just watched that movie today. I immediately put it in my Netflix cue when I saw it featured on your other blog. What a creepy movie! And what a beautiful house! I want to live there. Minus the ghost, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this movie, but I think I must. Such a great house!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that house too! Gorgeous and the property wasn't too shabby either.
    Xo,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must see this movie! Thanks for sharing! /Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear your grandmother is on the mend. Vermont is packed full of beautiful houses and so nice of you to find this one for us. Wouldn't life be fun with a bit more Harrison Ford on show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a great house. It has old world charm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Julia,
    Thank you for visiting my blog and for considering my post "Gone Batty with Bats" for you Halloween round-up this week. I will be looking forward to it and checking back!

    When I saw this movie, I fell in love with this house! We were living in San Francisco at the time in an apartment. I am originally from the N.Y., so I was still homesick. When I saw this house, it became my dream house. Still is in a lot of ways. I always wondered about it and where it was located. I am so happy you shared it.

    ~Jamilyn~

    ReplyDelete
  12. aaaah - I wish I would be the owner of this great house...love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. just LOVED this house!!! and i also remember liking her wardrobe a lot too..

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watched this film and immediately fell in love with the house.I'd loved to dress the windows. I would live there in a blink of an eye, even with the ghost - after all, she wasnt a bad ghost really!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI there - I LOVED learning about that house - I've seen that movie twice (good creepy!) and I fell in love with the home and wondered how they got so lucky to find an existing house on such an ideal setting - and now I know - they didn't - they built it! I remember loving the crown molding and that door entryway!

    Love your blog/site - I'm a weeks-old blogger/follower - I just added you to my blog list ... Best Wishes-Linda Lan (www.beachsidecottage.blogspot.com and www.beachsidebookclub.blogspot.com)

    I'm going to check our your tv movie houses blog - what a GREAT IDEA!!! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my "dream home". Is there anyway to get a floor plan and info on the paint colors used? I know the house was built specifically for the movie and then torn down. Surely there must be a way to get a floor plan.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you stopped by. Kick off your flip-flops and stay awhile! ~Julia :-)